Friday, February 27, 2009

Scuba Diving Swim Suits


The time is coming. Luckily, I have plenty in stock.


I am talking about appropriate swimsuits for scuba diving and classes. And before all you "guys" run away, a little note about appropriate swimsuits for men who dive.


I don't care who you are or what you look like or where you are from. You really had better not wear one of the those Speedo suits to teach a class or work with a class. Jeez - that would just be crazy. First, no one would respect you, and therefore, no one would listen to you. Besides, it might be hard for everyone to hear what you have to say if there is a bunch of newbies in the back snickering. Its just too much like being naked.


Second, if you are going to wear one of those red suits with the white stripe across the front for the scuba diving flag, PLEASE make sure it is a quality suit and the white part isn't see through!


Enough said. Guys, you may now leave as the rest pertains to us girls.


This has just been something I have personally come up with. When I dive on my own with hubby, I don't care what suit I wear, as long as he likes it. That is completely different when we are expected to help with a class.


I would love to wear a one piece, like those sleek ones the real swimmers wear. But I don't have a swimmer's body. Or enough water resistant glue to hold down the back of the suit to an appropriate spot (like they do in the pagaents). Besides, when I get in one of those I look like a majorly overstuffed sausage. And while I don't strive to impress, I don't want to look like an idiot with tons of rolls lolling around.


I try to find conservative 2 piece suits. And then I usually wear a tank top over the top part. This helps in more ways than one. It keeps me warmer, it allows me to go to the bathroom more quickly, and it keeps important parts covered up.


Once you get in the wetsuit, everything is fine. It's just getting to that point that you have to think about.


Another thing I am always conscious of is color. My bright fun swimsuits are okay for the pool. But I wouldn't dare wear them in the lake or quarry. They will fade, get mud stains, etc. So I look for dark colors (black, brown, dark purple) to wear in the "pond."


I'm also not gonna pay an arm and a leg for a suit, no matter where I am going to wear it. The butt gets snagged on the side of the pool on concrete or on the door walking into the portapotty and then your done. 100 bucks down the drain to look cute for a smidge of time isn't worth it.


Then there is something to be said for the ones that have hooks everywhere, rather than tie. Those knots can really be uncomfortable at times (like when you are out of the water with your bc and all the gear on).


Off the top of my head, I can't think of any more advice for diving swimsuits. Except maybe to make sure you won't fall out the top, if you know what I mean.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was reading your blog and I found your notes helpful. I'm going to start my SCUBA Level 1 Certification soon. Can you recommend a specific brand of bathing suit? If you have a website that would be great. I'm in France.

Diver Daisy said...

After looking over all my suits, there isn't one particular brand. I pretty much go with whatever meets the requirements I wrote about - dark, not too expensive, two piece, no ties.

Good luck and have fun!

Chelsye said...

I am a chunky girl. What about suits that have a little skirt (my preferred swimwear)?

Diver Daisy said...

HI! I have a couple of suits like that and I LOVE them when I am actually swimming or when I am with the inlaws, etc. I personally wouldn't wear them under my wetsuit, only because of the extra material bunching up and making me look even more lumpy - I don't need any help with that :) But overall, I do like those suits and feel they offer some modesty and I like that about them. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diver Daisy said...

huh?